Wardrobe: Finishing Touches

Leave a Comment
At the start of the year I realised that I had a pretty workable wardrobe, yes there were things that would need replacing or a hem fixing, but as a whole it fitted my professional work and my weekends and evenings.


It did however feel a bit stale, I had not really invested in the foundations that take an outfit from functional to memorable. There were certain outfits that did have a bit much more wow such as anything paired with my olive green leather skirt. But I had a statement necklace at the end of its life, I was overly reliant on a few pairs of shoes and I had not invested in the classic items that you can wear no matter what your size is.


So I decide that I would make 2018, the year of investing in the extras or finishing touches which make or break an outfit.

I set myself a few rules;

1. This was an investment

By this I mean it had to be something that I would want to treat with care and be bothered about if I lost it or it broke. It had to be an item that I valued as an investment but that did not mean that it needed to be hundreds of pounds.

2. Pin it before buying

I created a private Pinterest board to pin everything that I was considering. Seeing items side by side enabled me to assess similar items against each other to determine which if any I wanted to invest in.


3. It had to fit my lifestyle

By this it needed to be something I could still see myself enjoying and using. For instance if I buy a small wallet I will never use it as it would not have sufficient compartments or sections for all my receipts etc. Likewise I know there’s no point getting small work bags as I have to carry a lot of stuff.

4. Avoid “fashion” colours

There seems to be an IT colour/s ever season which has the tendency to make something age quickly. For instance I’ve not worn lilac since a particular Miss Selfridge skirt when I was 14, it is not a colour I’m invested in and although it’s everywhere at the moment it’s not a colour I would select myself so why would I buy a scarf in lilac?


5. I had to be able to think of at least 5 outfits it would work with if not more

There’s no point buying something that doesn’t work with my existing wardrobe as I just will not end up using it. The finishing touches are there to bring together and enhance what you already own so buying something that required a whole new wardrobe would be a redundant purchase.

I’m going to share how I decided upon the finishing touches I select and the alternatives for those looking to invest. Starting next week with my first purchase.




SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig