What I realised searching for a new Bed...

Leave a Comment
When I first moved into the Greenwood I knew that I was going to upgrade my existing double bed, which had been bought for my smaller previous house, for a slightly larger king sized bed. However, I was bed-sitting my friends queen bed (in my spare bedroom) there was no immediate need to start looking.

Fast forward to December 2017, and my friend moved into her new house just as my family where coming to stay for the holidays meaning that my double bed needed to relocated to the spare room and I need to look seriously at a replacement bed.

Picking a mattress was simple; I just repurchased my existing mattress in the larger size. However deciding upon a bed base was painful and it took two months of constantly refreshing websites in the desperate hope that I would be inspired. My boyfriend had given me carte blanche over selecting the bed which added to the pressure.

The only things I knew with any certainty were that I did not want a foot board, I did not like divan bases and it needed to be king sized. As my other half goes through periods were sleeping is difficult I value sleep hygiene and a pared back bedroom that has few distractions and this needed to be taken into account when picking a bed.

But as I started to look at beds, that the bed frames that I was considering as possibilities did not feel right or did not fit with my concept of my taste and style. So what had changed?

I still loved my original bed but did not want to order the same again. My previous bed base was the Fredd by Habitat in Charcoal Grey which had a mid-century influence with the reassuring comfort of the thick head board perfect for reading in bed. I love it and had lusted over it for months before I bought it in 2014, but I did not want to have two beds exactly the same.

There was also a little voice that made me question if I would pick it again? I was also thinking about tweaks I could make to the guest room and it dawned on me that I would never have considered the colour scheme for the guest room at my previous house, so what had changed?

The Greenwood is Victorian end of terrace property that comes with all the eccentricities of Victorian walls and high ceilings, whilst it has been completely modernised the space feels completely different compared to my previous house. The roominess allows for more drama and less restraint is needed. There are more rooms which gives me more freedom and opportunity to experiment. Pattern adds rather than overwhelms and clean modern lines without softness do not have the same impact with the character of the house.

It was then that I realised that I was still looking at beds that would work in my old bedroom but not really thinking about how the new house needed something a bit different.

As soon as I started thinking about what would suit the room and kept the pared back feel that we like in a bedroom, picking a new bed was far simpler. Considering the space opened up possibilities that I might previously have rejected that still fit the aesthetic I had in mind.

In the end we kept with a similar colour palette, choosing the Ariana graphite grey upholstered bed, which is a slightly more traditional design with a winged dimpled headboard without the added fuss of buttons and traditional curved legs which contrast nicely against the campaign style bedside tables.


The Bed arrives tomorrow so next week I will give you a seek peak of how the bedroom looks and the steps we take to make it easier to sleep. 
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig